Potential residents looking for affordable real estate without straying too far from downtown will be drawn to the diverse neighborhood of South River Gardens, a neighborhood in South Atlanta with approximately 7,721 residents. Most properties in South River Gardens are just 20 minutes from downtown and are within close proximity to many popular universities, restaurants and shopping centers. Moreover, sister neighborhoods include Orchard Knob, Rosedale Heights, Woodland Park and Leila Valley.
Just south of the Atlanta Beltline, the neighborhood of South River Gardens features a wide selection of ranch homes and other various housing styles dating back as far as the 1960s. For instance, traditional single family homes and those with split level floor plans are popular types of houses in the vicinity. It is also important to note that some homes for sale in the neighborhood may be newly renovated, while others may need some work prior to moving in. This, of course, will influence the final price of the home you are looking to purchase.
Homes for sale in the neighborhood of South River Gardens often range between $50,000 and $199,000, as the median home value in the area is $105,047, which is $80,000 less than the national average. For instance:
- 51 percent of homes in South River Gardens are worth between $100,000 and $199,000.
- 31 percent are valued between $50,000 and $99,000.
- 14 percent of properties are worth less than $50,000.
- Just three percent are worth more than $200,000.
However, the median cost of occupying rentals in South River Gardens is $1,004 per month, slightly higher than the national average of $949. The general breakdown of rental costs in the area are as follows:
- About 53 percent of rental units cost between $500 and $999 a month.
- Around 25 percent cost between $1,000 and $1,499 per month.
- Around 15 percent of units cost less than $500 a month.
- Seven percent cost more than $1,500 per month.
Given the distribution of affordable properties in the area, it is no surprise that homeowners account for 47 percent of residents in South River Gardens, while 53 percent are renters.
As it is popular to both rent and buy in this neighborhood, a variety of apartments in South River Gardens are available at local housing complexes such as Colony Square, Oxford Village Townhomes and Columbia at South River Gardens. For example, Columbia at South River Gardens offers the following types of floor plans:
- 1-bedroom and 1-bathroom units of 760 square feet.
- 2-bedroom and 2-bathroom units of 1,069 square feet.
- 3-bedroom and 2-bathroom units of 1,270 square feet.
Located within the perimeter of Atlanta, residences in South River Gardens are also within close proximity to the heart of the city and Interstate 285 (I-285). This neighborhood is also close to many Downtown attractions such as:
- Zoo Atlanta, which is between 16 and 20 minutes away.
- The Georgia Aquarium, which is between 15 and 24 minutes away.
- The Masquerade nightclub, which is between 14 and 22 minutes away.
Since heavy traffic is a common issue within the Atlanta area, traveling times will vary depending on current driving conditions.
As for public transportation, those who occupy real estate in South River Gardens can make use of the busing services available under the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA), as Bus Route 55 for Jonesboro Road has regular stops throughout the neighborhood. Additionally, intersecting rail stations include the Five-Points station, located on the Blue, Green and Red Lines. However, South River Gardens is not as walkable or bikeable as many other Atlanta neighborhoods, as the area has a biking score of just 16 out of 100 and a walking score of nine. As such, most residents own personal vehicles to help them get around the city and run errands.
Those who occupy properties in South River Gardens also live near Beltline attractions such as Perkerson Park, which is just a 15-minute drive away, and the Southwest Connector Trail, which is only about 23 minutes away. Moreover, the suburbs of South River Gardens are also within close proximity to several colleges and universities, including w, Morehouse College and the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Prospective buyers and renters with children will also have the advantage of living near several top-rated schools if they move to the neighborhood of South River Gardens. For instance, top local schools include the:
- DeKalb School of the Arts – Located just 14 miles outside of South River Gardens, this public school serves grades eight through 12.
- Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School, Middle Campus – Just eight miles from the neighborhood, this public middle school serves grades eight through 12.
- DeKalb Early College Academy – About 20 miles outside of South River Gardens, this top-rated public high school is for grades nine through 12.
- Kittredge Magnet School – About 28 miles north is the Kittredge Magnet School, this top-rated public school is for fourth through sixth graders.
Even though South River Gardens homes are near great educational institutes, the majority or residents have a high school diploma or associates degree, with only about 20 percent of the population having a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree. This demographic also explains the median household income in the area, which is slightly less than the national average at $50,000 a year.
Of those who live in homes throughout the neighborhood of South River Gardens, theft is a primary concern. Although property crimes occur at a moderate rate in this area, both burglary and theft are less than the national average. Like in any major U.S. city, residents must remember to secure their belongings and remain aware of their surroundings at all times.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.